Saturday 14 September 2013

Collecting the GTM K3

The day has come, insurance sorted and my train ticket in-hand – it’s time to pick up the GTM K3 from my Uncle Keith's house in Peterborough and drive it back to Derby!

That’s right, I said drive (although as you read on, perhaps a trailer might have been a better idea), as it’s taxed, tested and lightly serviced by a local garage before my arrival. I take it out for a brief journey around Yaxley with Keith to get used to the car, and grab some petrol.


First impressions reveal a very awkward gear change. The suspension was sunk, so Keith had the local garage pump it back up before my arrival, but it’s riding way too high, and with the excess pressure in the hydro-elastic system, the ride is too firm. In fact, it’s toeing in at the rear, making the car very twitchy.

Still excited though, as all this can be rectified. So after a spot of lunch, Keith waves goodbye as I gingerly take the K3 onto the busy A1…

…Where after about 15 minutes, this happens:


Not a great start, the engine has overheated and lost quite a bit of coolant. I check the thermostat which seems fine, let the engine cool and replace the water. Lets try again…


So there’s clearly an issue with the cooling system somewhere! After another 2 stops, I decided to call it a day, and also call the RAC. The RAC chap turns up and looks at the car blankly, but then cheers up when he realises it’s all Rover running gear and reveals he used to work at Longbridge. He quickly diagnoses a series of small issues including damaged manifold vacuum tubes, air locks in the system and a malfunctioning fan switch.

A few temporary fixes using tape, tape and more tape and I’m under way again. I arrive back home 7 hours after I set off – where the K3 promptly overheats again on the drive. At least we’re home and tucked up in the garage.



No comments:

Post a Comment